Sunday 20 February 2011

ThunderCats movie? Jist gonnae no!

The Guardian reported this week that there are increasing demands online to see a remake of 80s kids show ThunderCats.  This has apparently been prompted by the circulation of this rather poor piece of footage.


The prospect of a remake is as welcome to me as a poke in the eye for two reasons.  Firstly, Hollywood's record in this department are dodgy to say the least.  The producers of Transformers, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Inspector Gadget and others have already shit on the memories of kids growing up in the 80s while straining to wring every last cent out of these once forgotten classics- fat chance of a radical change of form.  Secondly, and it's important for kids today to learn this, ThunderCats was rubbish: Snarf, Wilykit/kat, the theme music and that stupid 'hooooooo' cry, it all irritated me tremendously even as a ten year old.

It's not like I was particularly discriminating as a child either (I liked Angel Delight and Bournville) and there are films I loved as a child which look decidedly ropey to me today- Santa Claus: The Movie, Escape to VictoryStar Wars (don't get me started).  As such it should be obvious that this is a remake that has no chance of being any good.  Unless they make it with real cats.  I might be persuaded to watch that.

No comments:

Post a Comment